Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Budget style from the pros

My parents have gone back to Scotland...* sniff*. It is kinda weird being on the other side of the planet from your family. I took a good few days to feel sad and eat chocolate. But now its time to get back in to things I have been neglecting and well this blog is one thing that has been suffering.

I don't seem to be in the groove for sewing right now, maybe my two years of intense study has just thrown me off track. Do you ever get that? It's like a mental block every time I look at my sewing machine.

But the need to make stuff is nibbling at me. I did start to finish off the Ute blouse that I downloaded from BurdaStyle ages ago yesterday so that is a start. I do have a lot of UFO's (Un-finshed Objects).

In the meantime I have been reading a rather good book that I picked up. Elizabeth Craig's Needlecraft (War Time Edition c1948). She was a fellow Scot too.



I love it. In her foreword she writes:

With clothes, as with other things, it is only when we find ourselves having to "make do" that we realise how wasteful we used to be.


I thought that was so appropriate for the reason that I started this blog.

It has great chapter titles, the best being Dressmaking without tears. One other great thing about old books is the inscriptions in the inside covers.


Prudence Jackson! What a name. There is one project I am going to try, making a women's blouse from a mans shirt. My Dad left a linen shirt behind and I am going to convert it rather than post it back to him (he is cool with that). There are heaps more too.

So I am going to sign off now with the up most resolution to go and sew... yes I will!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails