Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Swings and Roundabouts

I can now officially work and live in Australia as I got my visa! I just had to go back to New Zealand to get it... so that's were I have been! It was a chance to see friends, drink cups of tea ( and the odd cocktail), get some wonder op-shop finds and add to my material stash.

I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and bought two Collette patterns, Macaron and Ceylon. I had made the Mini Madeleine bloomers from the free pattern on the Collette website and the pattern was fun and a great fit. The Ceylon dress is so pretty and Casey made such a great job of hers that I really wanted to get down to it and make my own version.

The pattern itself is soooo pretty!


It is an envelope that turns into a bound book with the instructions and the pattern in the back sleeve.


I have some material in my stash that will be perfect for this 1940's inspired dress, I just have to wait until the stash clears Aussie customs along with my sewing gear... oh how I miss it all.

One other book to add to my library is The Undies Book by Nanette Rothacker.  I got mine on Esty.


What a plethora of under wear patterns. I have really wanted to be able to create my own camisoles, bras and slips as I always hanker after luxury ones I can not afford. I reckon from all my left over pieces of silk etc I can make some panties and lounge bras. Whoo hoo, before you know it I will be wearing fluffy feather mule slippers and Doug will think he is living with a Hollywood starlet of yester year.

Now in reality, one other thing about this edition of the book is the illustrations. I just love the them, art nouveau with a dash of folk loving 1970s style.



So cute! There are 25 patterns in this book and I intend to make every single one of them, even the Crocheted Victorian Valentine Undies and the Knitted Ski Snuggies ...so I will add a category called The Undies Book to my list. This may turn in to be my life's work, haha, finally finishing those snuggies for my 60th birthday, te he.

I got some rather nice op-shop finds while in NZ, but I will leave that for another day. Have fun.

xx

2 comments:

  1. I borrowed that undies book from my fashion school library, it is the BEST!!! I agree about the illustrations. Imust go back the that library and make some scans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool, did you make anything from the book? I can scan some for you if you would like? Need to get my scanner first as our stuff including my wonderful sewing machine as still not arrived!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails